Friday, December 14, 2007

Nausea heartburn indigestion upset stomach diarrhea

Diaphoresis. Syncope. APAP. Ataxia. Bruxism. DIC. Coryza. Epistaxis. Alopecia. ARDS. Entropion. Extropion. Egophony. Tactile fremitus.

The list goes on and on. What does the list consist of? Words and conditions that I had NO idea existed before I started nursing school. Would you like a translation? Okay, in order...:

Sweating. Fainting. Acetaminophen (Advil). Uncoordinated gait. Grinding teeth. Dissemenated Intravascular Coagulation. A runny nose. A bloody nose. Balding. Acute Respiratory distress syndrome. The last four I won't bother to translate cause they can't really be done in only one or two words. You could look them up here if you really wanted to: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/mplusdictionary.html. It has been my lifesaver this semester!

As I was driving home yesterday I was thinking about the sheer amount of knowledge that I have acquired in the last semester. Four months... that's it. But I learned soooooooooooooooo much. And the scariest thing -- yet terribly exciting at the same time -- is that I am 1/4 of the way to being a real life RN! At first that seemed daunting, but the fact that I have already learned so much makes me feel confident that I will be more than adequately prepared by the time I graduate. As evidenced by the above example and the fact that I have EASILY learned upwards of 250 new words this semester. On that note, it really is like learning a new language. We have lots of fun quizzing each other with the most random words we can think of. We also have lots of fun being hypochondriacal and diagnosing ourselves with every new disease, condition, or syndrome that we come across in class. And the most fun (for me) is when I use one of these words in normal conversation with normal people. So consider yourself warned!

And just as a side note, I went to the store the other night to buy a first aid/emergency kit for my car since I do a lot more driving than in the past and through more treacherous conditions. I knew instantly that I was going into the correct profession when I went into raptures at the sight of the first aid kits and the extensive selection of first aid related products. I'm an idiot, I know. But I'm happy, and that's all that matters, right?

No comments: