Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Is this really what it comes down to?

I have yet to post anything about school this quarter, even though I'm in the third week already. Suffice it to say, I have gone completely insane and am taking 4 classes and 17 credits. Doesn't sound too bad, until you stop to think that those classes consist of microbiology, anatomy, organic chemistry (with a lab) and a psychology lab (complete with rats!). Unfortunately, everybody that I speak with is quickly able to grasp that it is insane to be taking all of these biological sciences... why I couldn't figure that out when I was registering is beyond me. Never even crossed my mind.

But, I really did have a point to posting. I just wanted to share with you the warning that is in my organic chemistry lab manual for my lab today:

Safety Note: Alkyl halides are toxic. Some alkyl bromides are suspected carcinogens. Wear gloves and avoid skin contact. Add alkyl halides to the test tubes in a fume hood and do not breathe alkyl halide vapors.

So for all of my hard efforts... I am rewarded with the possibility of getting cancer from my chemistry class. Great.

1 comment:

LaDonna said...

Thanks for the safety note. I'll be sure to stay away from alkyl halides. Though I'm really sure what it/they is/are. I'm just a lowly music major.