Sunday, February 12, 2006

That day we all love to hate...

First things first, this post is dedicated to Rational Icthus, due to a recent conversation.

Yes yes yes, I will admit it, I am not the world's biggest fan of Valentine's Day. You may say that this is cause I am a cynical single, but I would beg to differ. I have never really been fond of Valentine's Day. Sure it serves well to give us some bright color in the middle of boring and drab February, but beyond that, what is the point? And now for the argument.

Argument #1: If you need a specific day to share your love for somebody, then you should probably rethink your relationship. I would like for my significant other to be willing to buy me flowers, send me chocolate or take me out for dinner any time... not just because it is Valentine's Day and it is expected. I am actually of the opinion that if you do something big for Valentine's Day, then that action should be nullified because you weren't doing it of your own accord. I want to be loved because somebody loves me, and not because the retail industry is telling us that it is time to show our love.

Which brings me to Argument #2. I think that sometimes people lose sight of the fact that they are supposed to be doing special things for their significant other because they love them. As my 16 year-old, not so delicate, brother says about these people "What is the least amount that I have to do that will still get me laid?" I feel that our culture has taken Valentine's Day and turned it into a giant gift-giving contest with no real significance behind it, only that people feel it is what they are supposed to be doing. My brother is also of the opinion that Valentine's Day was created by Hallmark... but that is another story.

I could come up with more arguments, but I still think my main problem with V-Day is that it is totally LAME that some people try to stuff all of their loving for one year into one day. If that isn't you... more power to ya. But I have found a loop hole in this system. Valentine's Day's ONLY saving grace is discounted chocolate... and lots of it =)

8 comments:

Rational Icthus said...

We ought to celebrate the fact that Jesus died and rose again every day. No more Easter.

I'm so glad Jesus came to earth. I think about it often, and I'm glad. No more Christmas.

I eat candy as often as possible. No more Halloween.

OR...

Society can set aside a day to allow a man who loves a woman (or vice versa, we like presents too!) to take some extra time to demonstrate it.

It's fun, bitter singles excluded. In fact, they're not excluded at all. They can participate as well, as babysitters for all us "smug married's!"

Rational Icthus said...

It's very quiet in the blogosphere these days...

Bryan said...

Quiet? We've been posting more now than in the past...

It's nice not to be strapped down this time of year. You save a lot of money.

Rational Icthus said...

Bry,

We all know you'd like a good strapping.

Rational Icthus said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rational Icthus said...

So none of you singles managed to defeat my impeccable logic. Time to 'fess up -- should we disband Easter & Christmas as well, or should all y'all just admit you're jealous of those of us who managed to acquire the ol' "ball and chain?"

MsPoppins20 said...

Actually... this "not-challenging-Chris" thing is what happens when you don't turn on your computer for 48 hours. I think what I dislike about Valentine's Day is actually what Chris is doing right now. The whole flaunting the fact that you have something that I should be jealous of. I have plenty of time to grow up, get married and have kids. I am only 20 years old, for crying out loud! Don't give in to the peer pressure, I say. And no, I won't babysit your kids for $4.50. Sorry!!! =) Plus, and I'm not sure about you, but trying to find a babysitter doesn't sound like much fun to me. Too bad I don't have that problem....

Matthew, you didn't hurt my feelings... I must confess that I wondered why you even typed that. I have enjoyed Valentine's Day in the past and I still enjoy it ($15 iTunes card, yo!)... so I am not going cynical on you either.

Rational Icthus said...

You remember the whole "I punish you because I love you" thing your parents (my parents) used to say?

It's the same way with the married vs. the singles. We tease you guys cuz we love you.

Right?