Saturday, August 19, 2006

Ain't she a beaut?

Today my dad and I went down to the Center for Wooden Boats on the south end of Lake Union to see The Lady Washington. What is The Lady Washington, you might ask? The Lady Washington is a tall ship ("a large, traditionally rigged sailing vessel"... definition stolen straight from Wikipedia). She also, drum roll please....... played the Interceptor in Pirates of the Caribbean!! Loving the movies (and anything to do with Pirates of the Caribbean, really), I was very excited to get to see her up close. Although I am not an insane Johnny Depp/Orlando Bloom fan, it does beg the question of whether or not they ever set foot on the boat. I am betting that the answer is "Yes", so that is fairly exciting.

She really wasn't that big, and once again, I amazed at the bravery of people who willingly go out to sea in one of those things. I was sort of sad because I couldn't get a picture of her with her sails unfurled, but I guess I will live. Having read enough books where they try to explain boat rigging, I am also amazed at how intricate it all is and I have come to the conclusion that I am too stupid to ever be a sailor on a tall ship. But the boats are BEAUTIFUL and they do provide for some wonderful picture taking opportunities.

No comments: