Monday, June 18, 2007

Major catch up time!

Does anyone know what time it is? That's right folks, I have once again hit critical mass in terms of the amount of things that I want to post. In order to save me from going batty by typing long posts about events that have already passed, I am going to make a list!

1. Memorial Day Weekend: So the best part of my Memorial Day Weekend was when Warren and I went to Roosevelt's band camp on Whidbey Island. We went across the Deception Pass Bridge (which I love) and then we drove down the island to Fort Casey and basically stopped and looked at whatever we thought was cool. At Fort Casey we walked around and stalked some little bunny rabbits. We also faced our fears and went into the bunkers for about, oh, 5 minutes before we ran away. And then we left. We visited them at Camp Casey for *maybe* 45 minutes because they were kinda late getting there. The next best part of my Memorial Day Weekend was when I went and saw Pirates 3. I LOVED it! Especially the part where they had to meet on the little sand bar in the middle of the ocean and the guitar was rocking out in the background. Yah, good times.

2. Graduations!: If you haven't figured it out by now, I graduated from college. I actually had two graduation ceremonies to go to, one for the Psychology Department and then the actual ceremony in Husky Stadium. The Psych one was on Monday night of finals week so I ended up "graduating" before I was actually done with all of my finals. Then Saturday was the big to do. Unfortunately, it rained the entire time and Husky Stadium isn't covered. Basically, it felt like I was sitting in the stadium for a football game in October instead of for a graduation in June. And then the commencement speaker (Rep. Norm Dicks) was the WORST commencement speaker ever. He started out innocently enough by belittling the Cougs a little bit, but then things went down hill from there. He started talking about how HE had worked with all of these ex-governors and senators and mayors and all of the commissions that HE had been on and all of the bills that HE had passed and all of the good that HE had done. It basically was a very conceited list of all the ways in which he thought he was cool. And he kept saying that we needed to stop global warming and clean up Puget Sound (complete with a very funny quote about seeing a video of a "majestic Lingcod gasping for breath on the bottom of Puget Sound"). This is all well and good, but the speech had nothing to do with the graduates. He didn't even go as far as to say that we should be inspired by his example, which I think was his overall point. But then things got even more interesting when the people in the stands (not the graduates) started clapping and stomping to try and say, "Hey, you're done. We got your point, now sit down." To make matters worse, the Seattle Times has referenced the speech and the ceremony a couple of times and they haven't done a good job of explaining how truly awful the speech was. To every single person who was there, there is no room for his speech to be construed as anything even half-way decent. But due to the Times' ineptness in reporting the event, we now have people writing letters to the editor saying how much better the WSU students were because they sat quietly in the hot sun through Gov. Gregoire's speech at their graduation. Give me a break! This is ridiculous and people need to know when to stop.

3. Which brings me to the best graduation gift EVER! After my graduation I was hanging out with Warren and his parents are like, "We have something for you!" They handed me a bottle opener with the WSU logo on it and I was like, "Uhh thanks guys." But then they made it play... and it played Tequila and then said "Go Huskies!" And I was like, "?!??!?!" cause Tequila was made into a popular football song by UW and this was just blasphemy. Come to find out, they actually bought two bottle openers (One UW and One WSU) and then switched the little chip inside. They said it's cause I might be a Cougar on the outside, but I'll always be a Husky on the inside. Awwwwww...! =)

4. Saturday Alex and I had our family graduation party and a bunch of family from out of town came to help us celebrate. This upcoming Tuesday is Alex's graduation from high school, so the grandparents (from both sides) are staying from last Saturday until this Tuesday. This means that they are at our house. And this means that I don't have a bedroom anymore. I'm dealing with it, but it is rather stressful. Especially since last week I decided to start going through all of the papers/notes/books from college that I had been too hesitant to throw away. Only once my room had turned into a disaster zone did I find out that my grandparents would need to stay with us after all, and that I had approximately 1.5 days to put it back together again... grrr!

5. And last but not least, I am going to Portland tonight to Justin and Erin's wedding! I am currently at work, but I finished all of my work and my boss doesn't have any work for me and the phone isn't even ringing. But not only am I excited for Portland, but I am going to go to Ikea on the way home to buy things for my apartment!

6. Okay, I guess THIS is the last thing. Last Monday and Tuesday my mom and dad and I went over to Spokane to do some apartment hunting. We found some likely looking prospects, but I can't sign a lease until mid-July and I am still waiting for my financial aid letter. So we will see. Watch this space.

2 comments:

Mandy Sue said...

I'm watching.

Sounds like your life is still pretty hectic even though school is out.

I know all to well about being displaced. My oldest neice who is 16 is living with us right now in our 3 bedroom house. Which is all fine and dandy.. except since we don't have a spare bedroom she's been rooming wiht me in my room! I'm just glad that I don't have a twin bed--that would get kinda cramped!

Alyssa said...

I LOVE the graduation present! So wonderful! (It's Alyssa, btw)