Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Revelations

This morning I had two revelations. Seeing as how they were slightly entertaining, I thought that I would share them with you.

Revelation #1: It is rather ironic how much pain we are willing to go through to make ourselves attractive

As I get ready to go away to school, I have been doing alot of "personal maintenance". I went to the doctor yesterday to get two immunizations that I need to be up to date on for nursing school (Hep A and Tetanus/Diphtheria/Pertussis, in case you were wondering) and last week I had a Tb test done. All of these things involve needles and minor amounts of pain. Understandable. Today I went to the dentist to have a regular cleaning, which also involves minor amounts of pain. (Especially if you get the hygienist that I got who always sprays you in the face and splashes you and then picks at things that didn't hurt before he started poking them with a metal spike but then hurt afterwards.) Anyhow, I had time to ponder the idea of enduring pain for beauty and I started creating a list of things that we are willing to endure in the name of beauty. Just a few of the things that I came up with:

-Manicures & Pedicures (don't let anyone ever tell you that these are completely pain free!)
-Waxing of various and sundry forms
-Tanning (which always involves the possibility of sunburn and skin cancer)
-Wearing high heels (mmm yah, enough said)
-Braces for nice straight teeth
-Icky tooth whitening programs for nice white teeth

And then there is the basic up-keep such as:
-Going to the dentist so that your teeth don't rot out of your head (definitely NOT attractive)
-Going to the doctor so that you can get you immunizations so that you don't get Hepatitis B and turn yellow
-Tough workouts and diets to maintain the perfect body type

Believe me, I'm not saying that the costs outweigh the benefits for these things. I was just wondering when our society as a whole become so masochistic. Another thing to mention here, many of the things on my list apply only to the female gender... how in the world is this fair?!? Or maybe I'm just forgetting about the ones applicable to males cause I'm not one... any males (or females for that matter) have some input?

Revelation #2: Apparently it is perfectly normal to go in to Starbucks with a list of drink orders a mile long and expect them to fill all of them

So after said dentist appointment, I went to Starbucks. My classes are all over now (my last final was yesterday) and from here on out for the rest of the summer I have rejoined the ranks of the work-a-day world. I thought that I would start things out right by going to Starbucks before I headed to work. When I got there, there was not only one but TWO ladies who had a whole list of drink orders and each had like 20 drinks on them. One lady's total came to $93.70!!! I can't even fathom spending that much at Starbucks. I like coffee, but it would probably take me a good half a year to spend that much at Starbucks. But apparently it is a normal phenomenon to take a whole list of drink orders for the office and head down to Starbucks. I guess I have a lot to learn about the "real" world.

No comments: