Monday, November 21, 2005

The bottom of the barrel indeed

I am assuming that a great number of you have now heard how we managed to screw up the one and only game I truly cared about this entire season. Yah, we lost the Apple Cup. It was so infuriating too. Typical story, we had been playing okay the entire game but then, to use the phrase that I have heard used way too much this season, both from the coach and the players "We just couldn't finish it." You have that right. We were ahead with 1:20 left on the clock, but instead of guarding the ball and letting the clock run down, they let WSU score a touchdown. Like we are good enough to score again with 1:20 on the clock if it is down to the wire... yah right. The most frustrating part was that it totally looked like we were going to win, and with 1:20 I had actually started letting myself believe we would.

And then we lost. I started crying for a second there I think. Just all the emotions of watching them make the same mistakes for two whole seasons now was more than I could handle at that moment in time. And then the WSU fans and players rushed OUR field and started dancing on top of OUR W. You don't do that in Husky Stadium, I know it sounds corny, but it's almost sacred. It is one of the best known, most beautiful stadiums in college football. To have WSU do that was just wrong, not to mention that the broke about a dozen laws doing so and nobody arrested them. Grrrrrrrr........... Anyways, they stormed onto the field with all of our players still out there. I am surprised that things didn't get worse than they did. We had, oh what did the news call it, a near riot or something to that affect. One of the WSU players took their giant cheer flag and started running all over the field but was then tackled by some UW fans that couldn't stand it any longer. Lets just say the flag is worse for the wear. I was very disappointed in the lack of sportsmanship on both sides. But I thought our players (maybe not our fans) reacted pretty well to the provocation. I can just imagine being out there having nearly won a "big" game but losing instead due to stupid mistakes and the other team's fans running out and acting like they own the place. I would have been hard pressed to not do something either.

It all goes back to the legacy of Husky Stadium. Seriously, if you have never been in it, you do NOT know what you are missing, it is intense. And on Saturday I got to experience an aspect of it that I had always heard about but never been a part of. That is when the stadium has the 72,500 people in it and they are screaming at the top of their lungs. Husky Stadium is considered to be one of the loudest stadiums in North America. Talk about intimidating... or powerful, it depends on which side you are on. I would have loved to been a part of Husky football back in, oh say the late 80's, early 90's. It would have been awesome to behold, what with the all of the fans and a team that was actually worth cheering for!!!

P.S. I attempted to post a picture of Husky Stadium, but seeing as how I am not talented enough for that, I give you this instead http://www.liverdance.net/videos/MOV08622.MPG. On Saturday I decided that a good way to get out my aggression would be with a Godzilla impression.... enjoy!!

1 comment:

Bryan said...

Sorry Melina. The Ducks won though! :)