Thursday, April 12, 2007

Aren't we all in college now?

Thus far this quarter I have managed to refrain from saying too much about my classes because I fear that it starts to bore you all after awhile. Suffice it to say, I have been extremely busy with classes, even though it is only the third week of the quarter. For better or for worse, my professors seem to have front-loaded almost all of my classes. Which means that come May when I will REALLY not want to be in school anymore, I won't have as much work. But for right now, I have a lot of work.

For my Psychology of Music class, we have to peer review each other's papers. I was appalled, flabbergasted, and aghast at the quality of the two papers that I reviewed this week. So, for your enjoyment, I have included some of the more interesting (read: hard to understand because the sentences don't even make sense) parts of these two papers. Let me know what you guys think! I am amazed that these people made it to a 400 level college class with writing abilities like this.

Person 1:
Furthermore, if we find a difference between the population of British young adults and American ones, a follow up question will be, "Is the type of musical genre preference as coping strategies among adolescents then dictated by the geographical and cultural popularity of a genre?"

In addition to the fMRI method, an extended survey with the students' parents and guardians shall be conducted to get more information on the family background of the student and possibly other important factors contributing to the subject's musical preference and coping methods.


Person 2:
As a society music is heard from the time one rises with the soothing sounds of an alarm clock, to when one walks down the street with their i-pod, to the background music played in almost every store, cafe, and even office. This analogy of course only holds if we assume that music is that which is defined in a Western cultural sense, but for the purposes of this paper, this is how music will be defined.

There could be many interesting approaches to such a topic, one being that an original full length film be created and have music paired with the sympathetic scenes that would not be of the usual content.


Nevermind the poor sentence structure, what about the lack of basic grammar?!? I know that I have a very distinct writing style and an important part of being able to review is being able to offer advice without trying to completely convert the piece to your style, but Hello?!?! What happens if you can't even understand what has been written. *Frustrations!* I think they thought that if they just threw in a bunch of big words and made their sentences long and complicated, it would make them sound scholarly. Hmmm... I think not.

No comments: