Wednesday, April 25, 2007

I want you to know that I am neglecting studying for my soc midterm to write this blog!

You guys seem rather interested in how my weekend went which I really do appreciate, it is nice to know that someone cares. So without further ado, here are the details.

I left for Spokane at about 230 or so Friday afternoon. It just so happened that Warren's mom was going over there to visit him last weekend, so she offered me a ride. It was nice to not have to pay for gas, and the drive was not awkward at all. Warren's mom has been the band booster at Roosevelt ever since Warren was a freshman in high school, so she is very fun to talk to about marching band. And as you guys all know, I am willing to talk about marching band for extended periods of time. We got there about 730 or so and went to dinner at this little mom-and-pop type diner. It was SOOOOOOOOOOO good! I had a Philly cheese steak hamburger and some onion rings. Yah, terribly good for me, I know. Then Warren took us to Studio and showed us what he had been working on lately. The campus is close to the river, so we took a walk by the river and walked over this cable suspension bridge that goes right over Spokane Falls. (That may not be the correct name, but I don't live there so you can't blame me!) It was incredible! Apparently it is the second biggest waterfall in an urban environment in the world, or something like that. They were so powerful and being on the bridge, you are very close to them, which makes them even more awesome. I am aware that I keep using "they" and "them". But that's because it was more like a series of waterfalls, although I am not the expert on this. Anyhow, by this time it was like 10 so we went back to Warren's apartment and they watched The Muppet Show while I promptly fell asleep. Yes, I am a party pooper. And yes, The Muppet Show was a recurring theme throughout the weekend. Over the course of watching like 10 episodes, I came to the realization that the show wasn't made for kids. Hmmm... no wonder I never liked them when I was a kid!

Okay, so Saturday started bright and early with Warren knocking on my door at 8 so that we could go jogging. Jogging is always a nice start to the day, but 8 on a Saturday? Come on Warren! He doesn't like to waste any daylight, which is a commendable trait. Then we came back, showered, had some breakfast, did homework, watched TV, Warren packed up some of his stuff to send back with his mom, and just sorta chilled until my interview at 145. I got ready and we left around 1 cause I didn't want to be late. I didn't realize how "far" it would be from Warren's apartment, so it was probably good that we left at that time. I got there at 130 (when I was supposed to be there) and I just chilled for 15 minutes or so. They had a little group of chairs set up where they wanted all of the interviewees to sit and hang out together, which was a nice touch. They also had some nursing students there to answer our questions. Every time someone new would be added to the group, they asked them what school they were coming from (this is a normal question for this situation, but I won't get into the details now). Anyhow, I had to tell them that I was a Husky. That went over well... or not. They gave me a pretty good, albeit good natured, ribbing over that. Then it was time for my interview.

There was a panel of three people and me. They told me to pull out an envelope (which contained my questions for the interview), they opened it up, and we went from there. I think I was asked 6 questions total. They were along the lines of, "Why do you want to be a nurse?" "How would you deal with a situation where someone wasn't pulling their own weight?" "What do you do to relieve your stress?" (My answer? Go running! Which was part of the reason I had gone that morning) and so on. Then they asked me if there was anything else I wanted to mention, so decided to go ahead and tell them why I had decided to major in Psychology first, in case they were wondering about my not-so-direct path to nursing school. And then it was all over. The whole thing took less than 15 minutes.

*** Oh my goodness! I am going to interrupt myself here! I am listening to musicovery.com and Spice Girls' "Wannabe" just came on. Can we say 6th grade anyone?!?***

Okay, so I have to finish this up since I do still need to do some studying tonight. Warren and I went to Arctic Circle for lunch, which rocked my socks. It was good. We went shopping after that cause apparently that is what happens whenever Warren's mom comes to visit =). You know how it goes when those parents with all the money come to visit their poor college students. Warren really wanted to buy a new shirt and tie, so we went and did that and he was super excited about it. He actually bought two new ties. This makes me happy because I think that too many guys under appreciate how cool it is to be able to pick out awesome ties, so whenever a guy comes to this realization, it makes me happy. Hmmm... after that we went to the grocery store, which consisted of Warren and I tagging after his mom while she bought him groceries. Goodness, you'd think that he hadn't lived on his own for 4 years or something, he was so content to just let her do it all. And then cause my birthday is this Friday, they decided that I needed a birthday cake. So Warren and I went off on a search for Funfetti cake with the appropriate Funfetti frosting. Let's see, Saturday night I actually did some homework, which is good cause I'm not sure when I would have done it if I hadn't done it then. Then Warren and I went and rented/watched The Prestige. We both made it through the first 3/4 of the movie alright, but I'm not sure how much either of us remember about the last 1/4 seeing as how by then it was like 1 in the morning. I should probably watch it again sometime soon.

And then Sunday I came home. So that was my weekend. Overall, I would say that the interview went rather well. I was able to answer all of their questions promptly without hesitating, yet still come up with a solid answer/argument. Thinking back about it, there are probably a couple of things that I could have said a little better, but part of the interview process is showing that you are capable of thinking on your feet, which I feel that I did fairly well. So now I wait. Again. I know the Lord knows what I am supposed to be doing next year. But I will let you guys in on a little secret... I am excited about the possibility of moving to Spokane. I am ready for a new adventure just to see what I am made of and whether or not I could hack things on my own. But a small part of me doesn't want to admit this cause I feel like I will jinx it or something. Which is totally silly cause I know that things don't work that way. We will just have to see what the Lord has planned!

Anyhow, I have a midterm and a quiz tomorrow and will probably be at school from 8 to 8 and will be in classes for most of that time. Then I get to come home, do laundry, pack, and study for another midterm. Friday morning I have a stats midterm bright and early and then I leave for Portland and Lisa's wedding around 12 or so. From there it is just a giant blur of fitting in all of the wedding things that need to be done. And making sure that Warren is occupied, as he is coming to the wedding. As an after thought, my birthday is Friday. Woohoo. I think that my birthday is probably going to pretty much be a non-event this year, which is sad, but I guess I can deal with it. But I really do have to get to studying and this has gotten really long. If you have gotten this far, I commend your achievements!

2 comments:

Mandy Sue said...

Hah! I read all the way to the bottom! That's great that your interview went well! I always get super nervous before I go into situations like that--sounds like you did well on your feet though.

Sounds like you had a pretty fun weekend too. What with all the adult muppets and such. And I can totally see the whole poor college kid spiel, I have a few friends like that.

I've never had a funfetti cake, but it sounds like it must be amazing considering how important it was that you find one!

MsPoppins20 said...

You have never had a funfetti cake before?!? Wow, you are missing out on an essential part of childhood! They are the cakes that are basically vanilla, but they have little sprinkles in the batter that then bake into the cake. The best part is the frosting, though, because while it is like vanilla frosting, it has these same candy-esque sprinkles in it. You definitely should go make yourself a funfetti cake. Right now! But be careful that you get the frosting with the actual candy bits in it, cause there is a kind that calls itself funfetti, but just has normal sprinkles in the frosting, which is no good. Haha, look how much I wrote just about cake!