Monday, April 16, 2007

A little too close to home

If you guys haven't heard the news about Virginia Tech yet, then I'm not quite sure where you have been all day. But here is a link in case you want more details: http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-main17apr17,0,1599658,full.story?coll=la-home-headlines.

When I heard about this shooting, apparently the worst ever in the history of the US, it hit me really hard. I'm not sure why exactly, I think partly because of the shooting that happened two weeks ago at UW. When that one happened, it got me thinking about how devastating it would be if somebody had just opened fire on the campus, as opposed to the murder-suicide they later determined it to be. I thought about all the people I would worry about and how I wouldn't even feel safe enough to go back to school. And then here, 2 weeks to the day since the shooting at UW, this horrific shooting happens at Virginia Tech. What was even more scary to me was that when this guy first struck, only two people were killed so they assumed it was a domestic violence sort of thing. It wasn't until 2 hours later that he entered the other building and killed and injured so many people. What would have happened if the shooting at UW hadn't been the isolated domestic violence event and the guy had later opened fire in the middle of Red Square once everyone thought the coast was clear? I shutter to think any of these thoughts and, like I said, I think that is why this shooting unnerved me so.

My heart goes out to all of those involved and they are in my prayers.

No comments: